Wearing a retainer is a very important step in orthodontic treatment. Here are 5 things you should know about orthodontic retainers.
5. They need daily cleaning. Retainers should be brushed each day with a soft toothbrush and any liquid dish detergent or hand soap.
4. They’re not all the same. There are different types of retainers including clear retainers that are almost invisible and others that contain metal wires.
3. They may be worn less often over time. At first, retainers are worn all the time but as time goes on they can be worn less and less. Think of it as a way of easing teeth out of braces while keeping all the benefits.
2. If they’re not worn, the teeth can move. Braces gradually move the teeth into better alignment. If a retainer is not worn, the teeth could move right back, and the braces could have to be put back on.
1. They offer the best chance of keeping a beautiful smile
Whether you’ve recently had orthodontics or you already have a nice smile, wearing a retainer offers the best chance of keeping your teeth straight and beautiful.
Schedule an appointment at Affinity Dental Clinics today!