Obstructive sleep apnea is a potentially deadly condition that is thought to affect tens of millions in the US alone but many people don’t realize they have it. Here are 5 symptoms that might indicate you suffer from OSA:
5. Persistent snoring. Everybody snores from time to time but if you snore constantly and if your partner regularly notices it and you might have this disorder.
4. Day time sleepiness and irritability. People with obstructive sleep apnea may awaken hundreds of times a night yet may have no memory of it. This can prevent you from getting relaxing sleep leading to exhaustion and a short temper.
3. Obesity. People who are obese are more likely to suffer from obstructive sleep apnea. In turn the condition can cause weight gain, possibly because constant sleepiness may diminish your metabolism making it easier to put on weight.
2. Depression and personality changes. It’s not clear exactly why but depression is significantly associated with OSA. The ongoing lack of restoral sleep can also trigger confusion, fatigue, memory loss and other noticeable changes in the personality.
1. Episodes of stopped breathing. Perhaps the scariest symptom of all. Gasps, short pauses where breathing seems to stop may signal this dangerous disorder.
Many dentists are able to diagnose and treat obstructive sleep apnea. If you think you may suffer from this condition, ask your dentist for help. Make an appointment today at Affinity Dental Clinics!